For Immediate Release
January 7, 2015
The Memorial Arena and the Curling Rink have experienced ammonia contamination in their brine and are now closed for the remainder of the 2014/15 ice season. Memorial Arena uses are being relocated to the Encana Events Centre, beginning on Friday, January 9, 2015.
All ammonia storage and contaminated brine have now been removed from the Memorial Arena and the Curling Rink. The buildings are now in limited use for non-ice related purposes. Investigative measures are underway to determine the exact nature of the necessary repairs/replacements to re-open these facilities for ice related uses.
The information that Council requires in order to make a fully supported decision on the future of the Memorial Arena and Curling Rink will not be available before the 2015 budget is finalized. As a result, Council faced a choice of either moving forward with incomplete information or with no guarantee that the buildings would be available as ice facilities for the 2015/16 ice season.
In keeping with Council’s previous direction, the Memorial Arena will remain closed for the rest of the 2014/15 ice season. The discussion with Memorial Arena users will canvass the details of the transition to Encana Events Centre.
At the Regular Meeting of Council January 5, 2015 Council approved the following steps regarding activities and allocation of the necessary funding in the 2015 budget to complete the activities:
- Undertake the necessary investigations and upgrades to the Kin Arena refrigeration system in order to extend its viability as an ice facility for another 2 to 3 years, at the estimated cost of $100,000.00;
- Undertake the necessary investigation to determine if the Curling Rink can be returned to use as an ice facility for the 2015/16 ice season and fund necessary upgrades to a total cost not to exceed $120,000.00. Should additional funding be required it would not be available until the 2016 Budget year and the building would not operate as an ice facility for the 2015/16 ice season;
- Operate the Encana Events Centre as an ice facility for the 2015/16 ice season, with Global Spectrum to include that use as part of their 2015 and 2016 Budget proposals;
- Undertake Building Envelope studies on the Memorial Arena, the Kin Arena, and the Curling Rink, at an estimated cost of $25,000.00;
- Thoroughly investigate the condition of the refrigeration system, piping, and pad at the Memorial Arena at an estimated cost of $25,000.00;
- Undertake a Needs Assessment for future ice uses in Dawson Creek at an estimated cost of $40,000.00; and
- Operate the Memorial Arena as a heated indoor dry floor facility for the winter of 2015/16 to test the market for such success.
For further information please contact:
|Mayor Dale Bumstead
Director of Community Services