The City of Dawson Creek is looking for a proven professional to be responsible for the coordination of all aspects of the Municipal Health and Safety Program. The full time Safety Coordinator position reports to the Director of Community Services, or designate, and will be responsible for all aspects of the Safety Program, including:
- Preparation and maintenance of a variety of safety management system documentation, inventory databases, records, reports, safe work procedures/practices, instructional and training material and related data.
- Needs identification and subsequent initiation/development/and coordination of safety initiatives and related training, safety meetings and seminars.
- Coordination and oversight of effective responses to workplace injuries and other incidents, including timely reporting, thorough accident and incident investigations, and a safe and early return to work for those involved, when possible.
- Considerable knowledge of WorkSafeBC regulations and of other legislative requirements applicable to the operations of the work force.
- Sound knowledge of the methods, practices, techniques, tools and aids used in safety training programs, including the ability to conduct field inspections and identify health and safety hazards.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external contacts.
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, and to work with minimal supervision exercising considerable judgment to establish priorities and complete the duties of the positon.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and a high level of trust and respect across the organization.
- Ability to interpret, implement and adhere to organizational policies and procedures.
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite.
Preference will be given to candidates with minimum 2 years’ prior experience in an occupational health and safety officer role, or who have completed relevant occupational health and safety courses, or who hold current BC recognized safety officer certification. The successful applicant will have the ability to perform all duties in a safe manner and the ability to maintain harmonious relationships with all members of the public and other staff members.
This is an exempt position and membership in Canadian Union of Public Employees Local 2403 is not required nor permitted. Salary will be negotiated relative to experience and certification of the successful candidate, in the range of $58,000 – $65,000 annually.
Applications must be received by the undersigned no later than 4:30 pm October 31, 2016. Please quote Competition No. 2016-33. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Tyra Henderson, Deputy Director of Corporate Administration, City of Dawson Creek, 10105 – 12A St., Box 150, Dawson Creek, BC V1G 4G4 Fax: 782-3203 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org