After extensive consultation with user groups and consideration of current operating costs, Council is proposing amendments to the Fees and Charges Bylaw that would see an increase in fees to users of various City services including Community Services programs and facilities. The proposed increases will bring user fees and charges closer to the current costs to operate programs and contribute to reducing the fiscal gap between City revenues and expenditures.
Adoption of the amendments will be voted on at the next Council meeting on August 21st. Some of the proposed changes will include:
• A 15% increase to airport landing fees for non-scheduled flights.
• A waiver for landing and terminal fees for up to 6 months for new, scheduled air passenger service. This would be considered on a case by case basis and would be approved by Council resolution.
• A new fee for the new Emergency Services Training Centre.
• An increase to some administration fees such as advertising costs.
• An increase for RCMP criminal record checks from $25 to $50.
• An annual increase, based on the BC Consumer Price Index, will be applied to all fees and charges for 2019 and 2020, with an additional review of all fees in 2020.
The Community Services Department recently completed a lengthy user group consultation process and have proposed fee increases beginning January 1, 2018 that will affect users of the arenas, the pool and sports fields.
Increases to user fees are based on a policy to have user groups pay a set percentage of the cost of operating and maintaining the facilities they use. Recovery rates are considered case-by-case to maintain the viability of user groups.
The new rates for the fees and charges will come into effect as soon as the bylaw is adopted, except for the Community Services fees. The new rates for Community Services would come into effect on January 1, 2018.
Please submit your comments by August 8, 2017.
Percentages of costs users pay for use of City owned and operated facilities and programs.
Youth – 50%
Adult – 75%
Private Users – 100%
Commercial Users – 125%
Preschool – 0%
Youth/Senior – 25%
Adult – 50%
Family – 100%
Preschool – 25%
Youth/Senior – 50%
Adult – 75%