Building on Your Property
The City’s Development Services Department regulates land use and is available for assistance prior to building or making changes to your home or property.
In this section of the website you will find information on:
- obtaining building permits and inspections,
- the Zoning Bylaw, as it regulates the use of land, buildings, and structures, and
- some of the common questions related to building on your property.
When do I need a building permit?
A building permit is required for all new construction, repair, reconstruction or alteration, addition, removal of a portion of a structure, wood stove, mobile home installation and for demolition. A building permit is required for a shed larger than 100 sq. ft.
Some examples of when a building permit is required:
- Construction of a new building
- Addition to existing building
- Addition of attached garages
- Building a new secondary suite or legalizing an existing secondary suite
- Upgrading an existing building or changing its use
- Creating new rooms or spaces within existing building
- Finishing a basement
- Demolishing a building or part of a building
- Building a deck or gazebo
- Adding an accessory building, equipment room, shed, or detached garage
- Restoration, maintenance or repair of building’s structural components and systems
- Restoration, maintenance or repair of significant building fire and life safety components and systems.
Please be advised that sump pit and solar ready requirements are now mandatory on all new residential construction. Should you have any questions regarding this, please feel free to contact our building department.
Prior to commercial building or making changes to your home or property, check here for information regarding the use of land, buildings and structures, City Bylaws related to building on your property, obtaining building permits and inspections.
Prior to residential building or making changes to your home or property, check here for information regarding the use of land, buildings and structures, City Bylaws related to building on your property, obtaining building permits and inspections.
A demolition permit is required prior to the demolition of any building or structure in the City of Dawson Creek.
Answers and questions about fences, inspections, timelines etc.
For more information see the Building Department Information Brochure
If you require further information please contact the building department: