Replay With Sound Play Full Screen Hide Video CLOSE
Departments / Licences and Permits /

Building Permits

Please be advised that sump pit and solar ready requirements are now mandatory on all new residential construction. Should you have any questions regarding this, please feel free to contact our building department.

Building Permit Application –  Commercial

Building Permit Application – Residential

Renovation Permit Application

Application for a Sign Permit

Plumbing Permit Application

Curb Cut Permit Form

Building on Your Property

The City’s Development Services Department regulates land use and is available for assistance prior to building or making changes to your home or property.

In this section of the website you will find information on:

  • obtaining building permits and inspections,
  • the Zoning Bylaw, as it regulates the use of land, buildings, and structures, and
  • some of the common questions related to building on your property.

Common Questions About Building Permits

When do I need a building permit?

A building permit is required for all new construction, repair, reconstruction or alteration, addition, removal of a portion of a structure, wood stove, mobile home installation and for demolition.  (A building permit is required for a shed larger than 100 sq. ft.)

Some examples of when a building permit is required:

  • Construction of a new building
  • Addition to existing building
  • Addition of attached garages
  • Building a new secondary suite or legalizing an existing secondary suite
  • Upgrading an existing building or changing its use
  • Creating new rooms or spaces within existing building
  • Finishing a basement
  • Demolishing a building or part of a building
  • Building a deck or gazebo
  • Adding an accessory building, equipment room, shed, or detached garage 
  • Restoration, maintenance or repair of building’s structural components and systems
  • Restoration, maintenance or repair of significant building fire and life safety components and systems.

What do I need to obtain a building permit?

You will require a complete set of drawings showing site plan, wall elevations, floor area and sectional views. For new construction, plans must include mechanical, electrical, plumbing and the type of occupancy intended.  Application must be made to the Homeowner Protection Office before applying for a Building Permit.

Homeowner Protection Office Branch of BC Housing
650 – 4789 Kingsway
Burnaby, BC  V5H 0A3

How long does it take to get a building permit?

It depends on the time of year and the scope of the project.  The summer months are the busiest time of year.  It is recommended that you apply for a building permit a minimum of two weeks before the start of the project.

How much does a building permit cost?

Fees vary based on type and value of project, please refer to our Building Bylaw for current fees.

How long is a building permit valid for?

A building permit is valid for a period of one year from the date of issuance.

How do I get an electrical or gas permit?

You must contact the British Columbia Government Agent 250.784.2224 for the applicable applications and permits.

At which stages do I require an inspection?

The owner or builder must contact the Building Inspector at 250.784.3658 a minimum of 48 hours before the inspection is to occur.

Inspections are required for the following stages:

  • Footings before concrete is placed.
  • Foundation before backfill is placed.
  • Dampproofing, drain tile, drainrock.
  • Insulation, vapour barrier.
  • Final, occupancy.

NOTE: It is the responsibility of the owner or builder to ensure that other inspections such as electrical, gas connection, plumbing, water and sewer connection are carried out at the appropriate times.

When is a building permit considered complete?

A building permit is complete when all aspects of the plan submitted for the permit have been completed.  In the case of a new building, an Occupancy Permit will be issued only when all inspections are complete and satisfactory including a legal survey certificate and all Engineer reports (if applicable) are submitted.

Where do I find information on building a fence?

Click here.


For more information see the Building Department Information Brochure


If you require further information please contact the building department:

Phone: 250-784-3654

Annual Department Totals

2015 Year to Date Development Services

2014 Year to Date Development Services

2013 Engineering Annual Report

2012 Engineering Annual Report