Replay With Sound Play Full Screen Hide Video CLOSE
Departments / Infrastructure / Water & Environmental /

Sustainable Dawson Creek

In the Media

890 CJDC: Planning for People Aug. 25, 2016

 

The City of Dawson Creek’s Vision Statement speaks to the City’s commitment to sustainability.

Dawson Creek will be a visionary community that works together for innovative social, cultural, economic and environmental vitality.

The City began work on sustainability in 2007 and was declared carbon neutral in 2012. This carbon neutral status has been maintained ever since.

Key successes for the City include a significant reduction in energy consumption 9% in 2012 and 8% in 2013 (a total of 17% decrease in only 2 years). This is an estimated cost savings of $270,000.

But more than just energy savings the City has moved forward with such sustainable projects as:

  • Switching all municipal facilities over to LED lights
  • Installation of a number of solar powered crosswalk lights
  • Low flow toilets in all buildings
  • Water pump and heat recovery upgrades at the pool

Upcoming Projects

2014

Installation of LED lights above the ice at the Memorial Arena

LED street lights installed at Turgeon Drive and Soccer Field Parking

2015

Multiplex Walking Track LED lights

Agriplex LED lights

Aquatic Centre Lap Pool LED lights 

Dawson Creek Sustainability Framework

FINAL DC Sustainability dashboard – Sept 21 2015 – MTPN