August 29, 2019
4:30 pm, September 18, 2019
NEW JOB OPPORTUNITY (INCLUDES TRAINING)
We pay you to train with us!
Are you looking for a career in aquatics? Do you enjoy swimming, teaching and promoting a healthy lifestyle? We are looking for dedicated people, seeking to begin (or renew) a rewarding career with a paid training program at the Kenn Borek Aquatic Centre.
You read that right: we pay you.
Why you should apply for this apprenticeship:
- You get paid to take courses and learn a new skillset you can take anywhere!
- You will learn how to save lives and make a difference!
- You will burn calories – we make you swim a lot!
- You are ready to take that first step towards a rewarding, transferrable career.
- You will improve your resume and impress future employers (even us). This apprenticeship comes with a guaranteed job interview with us (upon successful completion of the program).
- You get a free uniform!
- You will be part of an amazing team!
Our advice: Don’t ignore this opportunity! How often does someone offer to pay for your courses and certifications that can immediately translate into a well-paid career?
Does this guarantee a job in the future with us? That’s up to you. We can only hire a few people, and we are looking for the most dedicated; ideally people who can work daytime hours (M-F) and/or weekends. Once you have received your lifeguard certification, you will get the chance to apply for a lifeguard position with us, based on your continuation in the Water Safety Instructor Course.
Being a lifeguard/swim instructor requires a lot of skill, responsibility, customer service and attention to detail. Having that on your resume will make any prospective employer sit up and take notice. This opportunity will be intense, challenging and rewarding in equal measure. Are you up for it?
To qualify for the apprenticeship, you must:
- Demonstrate the ability to swim. Evaluation will include:
- Stroke assessment (Front Crawl, Back Crawl, Breaststroke, Elementary Backstroke)
- Completion of a 500 meter swim (20 lengths) in 20 minutes
- Surface support for 3 minutes
- Retrieval of object from the bottom of the pool
- Live within 50 km of Dawson Creek
- 18 years old and have completed Grade 12
- Be available to work 15+ hours per week, in a post apprentice position (hours vary based on operational needs and may include days, evenings, weekends, Saturday through Friday)
- Be able to attend all training sessions
If you have any questions about these requirements, please contact us at 250-782-7946.
Step 1: Apply for the Apprentice position.
Send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job posting name and number in the subject line. In your cover letter, include why you want to apply for this position and why you feel you are the best candidate. If you have any aquatic certifications already, please include a copy of those, too. Please include proof of residency within 50 km of Dawson Creek, as well as proof of age and Grade 12 completion. Applications will be received until September 18, 2019 at 4:30 pm. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Step 2 – Selection Process
Applicant screening will be held September 19 – October 2, 2019; you must be available during these dates. The process is step by step; candidates must pass through each of the following:
- Swim Evaluation (September 22).
- Must provide a current, clear criminal record check to us by October 2, 2019. We do not cover the cost of a criminal record check.
Step 3 – Training
Once hired, successful candidates will begin training per the schedule below. Please note, the training schedule is subject to change and is based on operational needs. 100% attendance in all courses is mandatory. There will be opportunity to volunteer to shadow in several actual positions – this will help give you a well-rounded experience of what it is like to work at a swimming pool! The more shadow experience you get, along with your demonstrated ability during training, will give you a better shot at working for us – we want the best candidates.
Please note in-class time for certification courses is paid. Stroke Improvement, course practicums and online portions are not paid.
- Standard First Aid
Dates: Oct. 5-6, 2019. Times: 8:00am-5:00pm
- Stroke Improvement (not paid)
Dates: Oct. 8 – Nov 14, 2019. Times: Tues/Thurs 6:00-7:00pm (no session October 31)
- Bronze Medallion/Cross Combo
Dates: October 18-20, November 1 – 3, 2019. Times: Fri, 5:00-9:00pm, Sat/Sun, 8:00am-5:00pm
- Lifeguard Certification Course
Dates: Nov 22 – 24, 26, Dec 6 – 8, 2019. Times: Fri, 5:00-9:00pm, Sat/Sun, 8:00am-5:00pm, Tues, 6:00 – 9:00pm
- Water Safety Instructor (WSI)
Step 1 (In Class). Date: January 5, 2020. Times: 9:00am – 12:00pm, 12:30 – 2:30pm.
Step 2 (Online) not paid. Date: January 6 – 23, 2020.
Step 3 (In Class). Dates: January 24, 31, February 7, 21, 28, 2020. Times: 5:00 – 9:15pm
Step 4 (Practicum) not paid. March 16 – 27, 2020. Times: TBA
The City of Dawson Creek is committed to accommodating persons with disabilities whenever reasonably possible during the selection and employment process. You must be legally entitled to work for any employer in Canada to be eligible for this position. By applying for this position, you are giving permission for the City to contact your previous employers and references.