Community Services News
Welcome to December!
The Community Services Department has lots planned this winter. Upcoming events:
- December 2, 2019 (8:30am-4:30pm) Registration opens for Winter RECREATION programs
- December 8, 2019 (1:00 – 5:00pm) Toonie Swim / Toonie Climb @ Kenn Borek Aquatic Centre
- December 14, 2019 (6:00 – 8:00pm) Movie Night (The Grinch – 2018 version) @ Kenn Borek Aquatic Centre
- December 16, 2019 (8:30am – 8:30pm) Registration opens for Winter POOL/CLIMBING programs
- December 21, 2019 (10:00 – 11:30am OR 12:30 – 2:00pm) Little Elves Workshop @ O’Brien Gym *Must Pre-Register
- December 22, 2019 (4:30 – 6:00pm) FREE Christmas Skate, sponsored by Mayor & Council @ Memorial Arena
- December 24 (12:00 – 3:00pm) FREE Swim & Climb, sponsored by Mayor & Council @ Kenn Borek Aquatic Centre
Registration is now open for winter RECREATION programs, including:
- Kangaroo Kids – Sport Fundamentals for Preschoolers (an interactive program where children will learn sport skills through play)
- Back to Basics (designed to get children back to learning basic skills such as treating a wound, hammering a nail, and so much more)
- Atomic Youth Volleyball
- School’s Out Sports Camp
- ActivAGE (free for Seniors; must be a first time participant)
- Co-Ed and Ladies Volleyball Leagues
- High Five Training (a nationally recognized certification that will assist participants working with children’s programs in the sport and recreation industry)
- Ukranian Egg Decorating Class (our third annual! Open to anyone ages 13 +)
View and Register for programs online at www.dawsoncreek.ca/register or call 250-784-3604.
For a full listing of winter recreation programs, check out our website at https://www.dawsoncreek.ca/departments/communityservices/recreation-programs/
Please note, these facilities will be closed on Monday, October 14 for Thanksgiving:
- Memorial Arena
- Kin Arena
- Kenn Borek Aquatic Centre
- Climbing Wall
- Wayne & Bev Dahlen Walking Track
- City Hall
We wish everyone a safe and happy holiday!
Registration for Fall Programs starts soon!
Recreation Programs: Registration opens Wednesday, September 4!
Pool and Climbing Wall Programs: Registration opens Monday, September 16!
Join us at Tremblay Park (1404 – 115 Avenue) on September 4 @ 5:00 pm for two events!
- Community Registration (5:00 – 8:00pm). Register for a variety of programs happening around Dawson Creek or gather information on local sports and clubs you can join!
Attention clubs and organizations: if you’d like to be part of this event and promote your group and/or take registrations, call our office at 250-784-3604 to book a table for $15 plus tax.
- Shell Summer in the Park (5:00 – 7:00 pm). Come out for free games and activities, bouncy castle fun, music lessons at Harmony Park, parachute games and more! It’s the last one of the season, so don’t miss out!
For more information, give us a call at 250-784-3604! We hope to see you soon!
Fall Fair week is almost here! The pool schedule between August 4 – 11 is as follows:
- Sunday, August 4: Toonie Swim and Toonie Climb (1:00 – 5:00 pm)
- Monday, August 5: BC Day (Facility Closed)
- Tuesday, August 6: Public Swim runs 6:30 am – 9:00 pm
- Wednesday, August 7: Public Swim runs 9:00 am – 9:00 pm
- Thursday, August 8: Public Swim Runs 6:30am – 9:00pm, Drop-in Climb runs 5:30 – 9:00pm
- Friday, August 9: Public Swim runs 1:00 – 9:00 pm (we are closed in the morning for the parade), Drop-in Climb runs 5:30 – 9:00 pm
- Saturday, August 10: Public Swim runs 1:00 – 5:00 pm
- Sunday, August 11: Public Swim and Drop-in Climb runs 1:00 – 5:00pm
As in past years, the pool parking lot will become PAID PARKING during the fall fair. Bring some cash with you to pay the parking attendants. Patrons who are swimming or climbing will be reimbursed when they turn their pass in to pool reception. Those individuals going to the fair will not be reimbursed. This is a fundraiser for a local non-profit group.
For more information, please contact the Kenn Borek Aquatic Centre at 250-782-SWIM (7946).