Community Services News
The Kenn Borek Aquatic Centre is opening on October 2 after a busy annual maintenance shutdown. We are excited to welcome everyone back!
The pool is returning to a Saturday – Wednesday operational schedule (closed on Thursdays and Fridays):
- Public Swim:
- Sat/Sun: 12:00 – 5:00pm
- Mon/Tue/Wed: 9:00am – 1:00pm, 6:00 – 9:00pm
- Family Swim:
- Sat: 10:00am – 12:00pm
- Waterfit Classes (starts Oct 4):
- Mon/Wed: 9:05 – 9:50am (Shallow)
- Mon/Wed: 10:00 – 10:45am (Deep)
- Water Walking Classes (starts Oct 19):
- Tue: 10:00 – 10:45am
- Private and Group Swim Lessons
- Mon/Tue/Wed: 3:30 – 6:00pm
View schedules here:
For information or to register, call 250-782-7946 or stop by the Kenn Borek Aquatic Centre during business hours.
By order of the PHO, starting September 13 proof of vaccine with valid government photo ID will be required to access some recreation facilities, programs and events. These are not City mandates. City officials and staff are required to follow the BC Provincial Health Order and Northern Health requirements.
Masks continue to be mandatory in all City facilities; masks are not required to be worn once you are on the field of play.
Be advised, this information is subject to change as the province makes amendments to its order.
WHERE PROOF OF VACCINATION IS REQUIRED
- Adult sport, fitness, and exercise activities for those 22 years old or older.
- All gym, organized adult fitness classes,
- Any indoor events or gatherings of more than 50 people.
- Swimming pool organized events like swim meets or birthday parties.
- Any ticketed event.
- It is important to note that medical exemptions are not listed in the PHO.
WHERE PROOF OF VACCINATION NOT REQUIRED
- Anyone under the age of 12.
- Organized youth recreation and sport activities for those 21 years old or younger.
- Public swimming or skating activities; unless these are organized adult sport activities or events.
- Workers at the workplace, which includes teachers, coaches, and instructors.
- Any Government services.
- Before and after school programs.
- Employment or workplace training.
For information on proof of vaccine, please refer to: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/proof. To access and/or print your BC Vaccine Card visit gov.bc.ca/vaccinecard.
As updates occur, Community Services will structure all programming to align with current orders. We ask for everyone’s patience as these changes are implemented; we recognize not everyone may agree with these health orders, but it is the responsibility of the City to follow provincial guidelines.
The Kenn Borek Aquatic Centre is now closed for Annual Maintenance from September 2 – October 1, 2021).
While closed, you can register for Bronze Cross or the National Lifeguard course:
- In person at City Hall (downstairs at the Community Services Office)
- By phone at 250-784-3604
For information on our upcoming advanced courses, click here.