Did you know in a country of over 36 million people, between 25 and 30% of Canadians report feeling persistent loneliness or social isolation? Between increased screen time, busy schedules and family commitments – it’s easier than ever for our neighbourhoods and communities to feel disconnected (www.participaction.com).
So let’s change that!
We’re excited to announce that Dawson Creek will be participating in the ParticipACTION Community Better Challenge from May 31st – June 16th, as we strive to be named Canada’s Most Active Community.
- The National Winner receives $150,000.00 for their community
- Regional Winners receive $20,000.00 for their community
- You can also win an individual prize, ranging from $10.00 – $2,000.00!
We encourage all residents to sign up now (it’s free to register):
For more Information, please contact Community Services at 250-784-3604.
Community Better Challenge FAQ
How is Canada’s Most Active Community determined?
The most active community will be determined using a formula that combines:
- Minutes tracked by individuals via the ParticipACTION app and on the website divided by the population of that community
- Minutes tracked by organizations from registered programs or events divided by the population of that community
- A final application from the local government / band
Five finalists will be invited to submit a bid to be named Canada’s Most Active Community.
Who are the finalists?
At the end of the Community Better Challenge, ParticipACTION will contact five regional finalists from each of our six regions and ask them to submit a bid to be named Canada’s Most Active Community. The six regions are:
- Northern Canada (Yukon, Northwest Territories, Nunavut)
- Western Canada (British Columbia, Alberta)
- Central Canada (Saskatchewan, Manitoba)
- Atlantic Canada (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland and Labrador)
Won’t the largest city win?
Not necessarily; each community’s total minutes will be divided by their total population.
What are the prizes?
Canada’s Most Active Community will win $150,000 to support local physical activity and sport participation initiatives. Additionally, five regional community winners will also be recognized and receive $20,000 each to support local physical activity initiatives.
Individuals can win prizes too, just by tracking their activity!
What are the timelines?
|May 31 – June 16, 2019||Community Better Challenge Runs|
|June 18, 2019||Top 5 Finalists for each region informed (30 in total)|
|June 22, 2019||Finalists Submission are due|
|June 25, 2019||Submission Review Period ends|
|June 27, 2019||Canada’s Most Active Communities (national and regional) are announced|
How can you help?
Join the challenge now (it’s free to register)! If you are part of an organization, encourage your participants and their families to sign up and get involved! Challenge your co-workers – create workplace events/challenges. Tell EVERYONE!
- Download the ParticiPACTION app at Google Play or the App Store, OR
- Register online at the ParticiPACTION Website
Begin tracking your activity and contribute to the total active minutes of Dawson Creek – you can also win individual prizes!