Community Services News
Special Events happening this May and June in Dawson Creek! Don’t forget to check out the events calendar!
ParticiPACTION Community Better Challenge – sign up now!
Did you know you can help win $150,000 for the City of Dawson Creek? The Community Better Challenge initiative is intended to rally communities, coast to coast, to sit less and move more together! The National winner will win money towards their community AND the title of Canada’s Most Active Community!
The challenge runs May 31 – June 16, but you can sign up now to win prizes! Just go to https://www.participaction.com/en-ca, download the ParticiPACTION app (or sign up online) and start tracking your activity!
Move for Health Day – May 10!
Move for Health Day is May 10! This is an international event started in 2002 (formally in 2003), by the World Health Organization to promote physical activity.
The Kenn Borek Aquatic Centre will be hosting:
- $2 Public Swim (9:00am – 1:00pm, 3:00pm – 9:00pm)
- $2 Drop-In Fitness Class (9:00 – 9:50am)
- $2 Drop-In Climb (5:30 – 9:00pm)
- $2 Water Blast Fitness Class (7:30 – 8:30 pm)
Community Clean Up:
Clean up Day is on Saturday, May 11. Please be cautious and drive slow – our volunteer crews will be out cleaning up our City. Local Non-Profit groups wishing to participate must register by May 9. Call 250-784-3604.
Seniors Spring Yard Waste Pickup runs May 13 and 14. People with a disability and Seniors are encouraged to register their yard by May 9 for this service. Call 250-784-3604 to register now.
Lifejacket (PFD) Day – May 16
May 16 is Lifejacket (PFD) Day! Come down to the Kenn Borek Aquatic Centre and meet Buckles, the Red Cross Lifejacket! He will be at the Kenn Borek Aquatic Centre during Swim Lessons:
- 11:00am – 12:00pm
- 1:00 – 2:00pm
- 4:00 – 6:00pm
Information on Lifejackets and PFD’s will be available: why and when you should wear them, how to choose the right size for you & your children and much more!
Registration for Summer Recreation Programs Opens May 31
Registration opens on May 31 for summer recreation programs! Sign up for Summer Camps and ask about drop-in programs running through the summer! We’ve got some exciting things planned! You can register online at www.dawsoncreek.ca/register OR give us a call at 250-784-3604!
Spring Park N’ Play – June 1
Join us at Kitchen Park between 11:00 am – 2:00 pm for this annual FREE event! Games, prizes, a bouncy castle, fitness classes and local community groups will be on site; be sure to check it out!
If your organization promotes health and wellness, give us a call to be part of this event: 250-784-3604!
Red Cross Water Safety Week – June 1-8
Did you know that approximately 500 Canadians die in PREVENTABLE water-related incidents, annually? Head to the Kenn Borek Aquatic Centre during Water Safety Week and pick up free, valuable, information on how to stay safe in, on and around the water!
Sunday, June 2 will be our kick off to Water Safety Week! Join us between 2:00 – 4:00 pm for games a scavenger hunt, diving lesson, prizes and more! For more information call us at 250-782-7946!
Registration for Summer Pool/Wall Programs Opens June 17
Registration opens on June 17 for summer Aquatic Centre programs! Swim Lessons will run in the mornings (2-week sets, M-F) and private lessons will run in the afternoon. Don’t forget to ask about Climbing Wall programs. Register online at www.dawsoncreek.ca/register. You can also give us a call at 250-782-SWIM (7946)!
Imagine loud music, flashing lights and a fun atmosphere while skating around the Kin Arena pad with your partner or friends. Roller/Inline skates are required. All ages are welcome and regular drop-in admission fees apply.
Time is 6:00 – 7:00pm
The Kenn Borek Aquatic Centre, Climbing Wall and Wayne & Bev Dahlen Walking Track will be closed on Good Friday and Easter Monday. On behalf of all the staff, we wish you a joyful Easter.
Please be advised, Public Skate originally scheduled for Friday, April 5 is being moved to Sunday, April 7 from 5:00 – 7:00 pm. For the full April Ice Schedule, please go to the Schedules Page on our website.
Registration is now open for Spring 2019 Classes! Check out what’s coming up:
*Some pre-requisites may be required.
Ages 0 – 5yrs
– Mini Sports (2 – 5 yrs)
– Preschool Swim Lessons (3 – 5yrs)
– Parent & Tot Swim Lessons (6 – 35 months)
– Mommy & Baby Aquafit (4 – 12 months)
– Orientation to Climbing (4+ yrs)
Ages 6 – 18yrs
– Drop-In Dodgeball (8+yrs)
– Drop-In Ball Hockey (6 – 11 yrs)
– Drop-In Soccer (15+ yrs)
– Drop-In Volleyball (15+ yrs)
– Ukrainian Easter Egg Workshop (12+ yrs)
– School Age Swim Lessons (6+ yrs)
– Mermaid 101 Lessons (6 – 14 yrs)
– Orientation to Climbing (4+ yrs)
– Beginner Belay Class – Climbing Wall – (12+ yrs)
– National Lifeguard Course (16+ yrs)
– National Lifeguard Recertification (16+ yrs)
– Supervision Evaluation & Enhancement (SEE) Auditor – for swimming pools – (16+ yrs)
– Aquatic Supervisor Training (AST) (16+ yrs)
– Pool Operator Level 1 (16+ yrs) – must register at www.rfabc.com
– CALA Workshop: Movement Matters (16+ yrs)
– CALA Workshop: Aqua In Motion (16+ yrs)
– Drop-In Dodgeball
– Drop-In Soccer
– Drop-In Volleyball
– Ukrainian Easter Egg Workshop
– Seniors Drop-In Pickleball (55+ yrs)
– Choose to Move (65+ yrs) *FREE*
– ActiveAGE (65+ yrs) *FREE*
– Parent & Tot Swim Lessons (child should be 6 – 35 months)
– Mommy & Baby Aquafit (child should be 4 – 12 months)
– Water Walking
– Drop-In Water Fit (no registration required)
– Orientation to Climbing
– Beginner Belay Class – Climbing Wall
– National Lifeguard Course
– National Lifeguard Recertification
– Supervision Evaluation & Enhancement (SEE) Auditor – for swimming pools
– Aquatic Supervisor Training (AST)
– Pool Operator Level 1 – must register at www.rfabc.com
– CALA Workshop: Movement Matters
– CALA Workshop: Aqua In Motion
– Family Drop-In Open Gym *FREE*
Register online at www.dawsoncreek.ca/register or call 250-784-3604 or 250-782-SWIM (7946)