March 16, 2020 (10:30am):
Upon recommendations put forward by the British Columbia Office of the Provincial Health Officer regarding current concerns of CO-VID 19 and gatherings over 250 people, as well as further recommendations from the Lifesaving Society
regarding hot tubs, saunas, steam rooms (and similar features)
the Kenn Borek Aquatic Centre (including the climbing wall) and the Wayne & Bev Dahlen Walking Track are now closed until further notice.
*March 30 Registration Day for Spring Pool / Wall classes is POSTPONED*
*All Swim and Climb PASS holders will have their passes EXTENDED
for the number of days we are closed*
The following classes are CANCELLED:
March 16-20 Spring Break Swim Lessons
March 23-27 Spring Break Swim Lessons
March 26 Emergency First Aid
April 4-5 Standard First Aid
(staff will be in contact with those registered regarding refunds, credits or other options)
Please read the full media release (from March 16) for more information.
Pool Rule: All children 7 years and under MUST have a responsible person, 16 yrs of age or older, with them in the water at all times (within arms reach). One adult per three children 7 yrs of age and under.
Kenn Borek Aquatic Centre: (250) 782-7946.
Videos, cameras and recording devices of any sort are permitted in the public areas of the building. Recording is permitted of patrons own group or family as long as the patron notifies staff before use.
We understand the need and respect the privacy of all our patrons.
Can My Child Swim Alone?
Youth who are 7 years old and under must be within arm’s reach of a responsible person 16 years of age or older, in the water at all times. The rule is a maximum of 3 youth (7 years and under) per adult. Before, during and after swim lessons, children 7 and under are NO LONGER PERMITTED in the Tot’s Pool without a parent or responsible person 16 years of age or older in the water with them and within arm’s reach.
- Life Jackets are complimentary for our patrons – limited supply available, first come first served.
- Have your children or grandchildren outgrown their life jackets? We can put them to good use. Drop them off at the pool reception.
Diapers vs. Little Swimmers
All youth who are not fully potty trained must wear an approved swim diaper (ie. little swimmers, re-usable water diapers). Regular diapers are not approved for use in the pool as they are designed to absorb. In the pool, regular diapers absorb water until they burst, releasing the moisture beads into the water and causing a pool closure.
Strollers are not allowed on the pool deck. Please ask at reception for options on where to store your stroller while you are swimming. There are two strollers available for public use on deck.
The family change room is for families or disabled patrons only; there is a lift available for use in the accessible change stall (see front desk for more information). All other patrons must use the male or female change rooms – youth without adult supervision can not use the family change room. Adults with medical conditions who require the assistance of an aide are permitted to use the family change room. *As a courtesy to all patrons, please do not store your items (including personal wheelchairs) in the cubicles, washrooms or shower rooms.*
For health reasons, all swimmers are required to shower thoroughly before entering the pool.
Groups of 10 or more people are required to notify us of their attendance 48 hours in advance. This allows us to inform you of what is/is not available at the time you wish to come (spray features, diving boards, waterslide etc. could be closed) and to ensure adequate staff is available.
No food or drinks permitted on the pool deck or in the change rooms (non-breakable containers are permitted for water and sports drinks). Glass containers are not permitted in building.
Youth must be 42 inches tall (3ft. 6 inches) to ride the slide. Doubling up is not permitted. Rules are assigned as per the manufacturer and the BC Safety Authority. Youth who are 7 years old and under must have a parent (or responsible person 16 years of age or older) waiting at the bottom of the slide on the pool deck as they exit the slide flume.
Ask us about our Leisure Access Program for recreation and fitness classes offered at our City of Dawson Creek facilities.
Course Registration/Facility Rental
Register in person, online at https://www.dawsoncreek.ca/register/ or by phone with Visa or MasterCard. Payment is due at time of registration or rental.
Haven’t tried the climbing wall yet? Come on down! We offer Introductory Climbing classes, Orientation sessions, Drop In sessions, as well as our very own Climbing Clubs! Please note, everyone must sign a waiver and any individuals under the age of 19 must have their parent or legal guardian sign the waiver before they can climb.
Location: #2 – 300 Highway 2 (at the Kenn Borek Aquatic Centre). Call us for more information at (250) 782-7946.
Wayne & Bev Dahlen Walking Track
The walking track is located on the 3rd floor of the Encana Events Centre. Access is via the Kenn Borek Aquatic Centre at #2-300, Hwy 2, Dawson Creek, BC. (all participants must sign in at the pool). The track is free to use and lockers are available in the pool lobby (lockers are .50 – tokens can be purchased at pool reception). For information, contact (250) 782-7946.
1 lap = 250 meters (or .155 miles) 4 laps = 1 Kilometer 6 laps = 1 mile (approx.)
- Sign in at the pool (before using track).
- Sign out at the pool (after using track).
- INDOOR SHOES ONLY on track – outdoor footwear to be removed at pool, prior to track use (footwear can be locked up at pool lobby).
- Children 12 and under MUST be with a responsible adult.
- There are 2 directions that change weekly. Walkers stay to the inside of the track and runners stay to the outside.
- As a courtesy to all users, please ensure you walk and run in the correct direction as posted. No more than 2 people side by side to allow room for people passing.
- Please do not stop on the track – there are several resting areas located around and off the track.
- Strollers are welcome on the walking track but please be sure your wheels are clean and you are in control of your stroller at all times.
- The track is ALWAYS CLOSED on event days (including the days before & after events) and stat holidays.
Refund, Transfer and Credit Policy
REFUNDS are given ONLY if we cancel a program.
TRANSFERS (POOL ONLY) permitted when the pool is notified 7 days prior to the course start date, or at the recommendation of the instructor.
CREDITS will be issued for the unused portion of a program when the following criteria is met:
- You provide a doctor’s note immediately. Credit is effective starting the date the doctor’s note is received by Recreation/Pool staff.
- We have a wait list and are able to resell your space.
- (POOL ONLY) You contact the pool 7 days prior to the course start date.
NOTE: Credit must be used within one year. For more details, please call the office.
Three Easy Ways to Register for Programs
1. By PHONE
- Call Community Services at (250) 784-3604 or the Kenn Borek Aquatic Centre at (250) 782-7946.
- You will need a valid Visa or MasterCard.
- A receipt will be mailed to you.
2. In PERSON
- Register for pool or recreation programs at either location (some exceptions):
- Community Services at City Hall, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday.
- Kenn Borek Aquatic Centre, please check our page for the current hours.
- You will need a valid Visa or MasterCard, or debit and cash may also be used.
Check out our new Online Registration site: https://www.dawsoncreek.ca/register/
Attention Online Customers:
Due to the time zone your computer is set to, course start times may appear as Alberta local time. As an example, Alberta customers will see a course start time of 6:00pm however the course actually starts at 5:00pm in Dawson Creek.
Please double check your booking confirmation for the actual course start time.
You can also give us a call at 250-782-7946 or 250-784-3604 before registering online to confirm.