Building on Your Property
The City’s Development Services Department regulates land use and is available for assistance prior to building or making changes to your home or property.
In this section of the website you will find information on:
- obtaining building permits and inspections,
- the Zoning Bylaw, as it regulates the use of land, buildings, and structures, and
- some of the common questions related to building on your property.
When do I need a building permit?
A building permit is required for all new construction, repair, reconstruction or alteration, addition, removal of a portion of a structure, wood stove, mobile home installation and for demolition. A building permit is required for a shed larger than 100 sq. ft.
Some examples of when a building permit is required:
- Construction of a new building
- Addition to existing building
- Addition of attached garages
- Building a new secondary suite or legalizing an existing secondary suite
- Upgrading an existing building or changing its use
- Creating new rooms or spaces within existing building
- Finishing a basement
- Demolishing a building or part of a building
- Building a deck or gazebo
- Adding an accessory building, equipment room, shed, or detached garage
- Restoration, maintenance or repair of building’s structural components and systems
- Restoration, maintenance or repair of significant building fire and life safety components and systems.
Please be advised that sump pit and solar ready requirements are now mandatory on all new residential construction. Should you have any questions regarding this, please feel free to contact our building department.
Building Permit Application – Commercial
Prior to commercial building or making changes to your home or property, check here for information regarding the use of land, buildings and structures, City Bylaws related to building on your property, obtaining building permits and inspections. Applications must meet the requirements of Section 6 of the Building Bylaw.
- Tenant Improvements Part 3 Buildings Application Package
- Commercial Tenant Improvement-Part 9 Application Package
Residential Building Permit Application
Prior to residential building or making changes to your home or property, check here for information regarding the use of land, buildings and structures, City Bylaws related to building on your property, obtaining building permits and inspections. Applications must meet the requirements of Section 6 of the Building Bylaw.
- New Single Family Dwelling and Duplex Application Package
- Addition or Renovation to Single Family Dwelling – Application Package
- Complex Building Application
- Deck – Building Permit Application Package
- Shed – Building Permit Application Package
- Detached Garage – Building Permit Application Package
- Weeping Tile Application
Permanent Sign Permit Application
Plumbing Permit Application 2022
Curb Cut Permit Form
Demolition Permit Application
A demolition permit is required prior to the demolition of any building or structure in the City of Dawson Creek.
Construction and Demolition Sites – Fire Safety Plan Template
Building Department Q&A
Answers and questions about fences, inspections, timelines etc.
Development Service Department – Building