Departments / Development & Regulatory Services / Building Department /

Building Department Q&A

Common Questions About Building Permits

What do I need to obtain a building permit?

You will require a complete set of drawings showing site plan, wall elevations, floor area and sectional views. For new construction, plans must include mechanical, electrical, plumbing and the type of occupancy intended.  An application must be made to the Homeowner Protection Office before applying for a Building Permit.

Homeowner Protection Office Branch of BC Housing
650 – 4789 Kingsway
Burnaby, BC  V5H 0A3

How long does it take to get a building permit?

It depends on the time of year and the scope of the project.  The summer months are the busiest time of year.  It is recommended that you apply for a building permit a minimum of two weeks before the start of the project.

How much does a building permit cost?

Fees vary based on type and value of project, please refer to our Building Bylaw for current fees.

How long is a building permit valid for?

A building permit is valid for a period of one year from the date of issuance.

How do I get an electrical or gas permit?

You must contact the British Columbia Government Agent 250.784.2224 for the applicable applications and permits.

At which stages do I require an inspection?

The owner or builder must contact the Building Inspector at 250.784.3658 a minimum of 48 hours before the inspection is to occur.

Inspections are required for the following stages:

  • Footings before concrete is placed.
  • Foundation before backfill is placed.
  • Dampproofing, drain tile, drainrock.
  • Insulation, vapour barrier.
  • Final, occupancy.

NOTE: It is the responsibility of the owner or builder to ensure that other inspections such as electrical, gas connection, plumbing, water and sewer connection are carried out at the appropriate times.

When is a building permit considered complete?

A building permit is complete when all aspects of the plan submitted for the permit have been completed.  In the case of a new building, an Occupancy Permit will be issued only when all inspections are complete and satisfactory including a legal survey certificate and all Engineer reports (if applicable) are submitted.

Where do I find information on building a fence?

Click here.


Quick Links

Zoning Bylaw
Fees & Charges


Buliding Department

Phone: 250-784-3618
Email: bdarnbrough@dawsoncreek.ca 

Note: This webpage is provided only as a guide for public use and convenience. Changes to the information outlined may be made where circumstances warrant. Please consult the City’s bylaws and other documents including the Community CharterLocal Government Act, and Land Title Act.