Departments / Development & Regulatory Services /

Development Applications 

Current Development Applications

Looking for a current development application? Want to know what’s happening in your neighbourhood? Click here.

Development Permits

Development Permits are required before developing in Development Permit Areas (DPAs). DPAs are designated in by the Official Community Plan. There are five DPAs in Dawson Creek. Four of the DPAs guide the form and character of development; these include the Downtown Core DPA, Commercial DPA, Multi-family DPA, and Intensive Residential DPA. The remaining DPA is the Natural Hazard DPA which is used to protect development from natural hazards such as flooding or landslip as well as protecting vulnerable natural environments. 

Development Variance Permits

Development Variance Permits are permits authorized by City Council to allow variances to certain requirements of the City’s Zoning Bylaw, Sign Bylaw, or Subdivision and Development Servicing Bylaw.

Official Community Plan Amendments

The Official Community Plan (OCP) is the main land use plan for the City and focuses on future land uses in the five to twenty year timeline. The OCP may be amended, from time to time, with regard to specific issues or proposals.

Zoning Bylaw Amendments (Rezoning)

Owners of property may apply to amend the zoning on their property. Zoning Bylaw Text amendments amend a requirement or regulation within the Bylaw affecting a particular zone.

Sign Permits

Anyone intending to place a sign on the exterior of any building or structure, or on any property in the City, must make an application and obtain approval from the Development Service Department for a Sign Permit, prior to installation. 


A subdivision of land can create two or more lots out of one lot, adjust an existing property (lot) line, or consolidate two or more lots into one.

Temporary Use Permit

A Temporary Use Permit allows a use of land, on a temporary basis, not otherwise permitted in the City’s Zoning Bylaw.

Board of Variance 

A method to do minor variances to the Zoning Bylaw or Subdivision and Development Servicing Bylaw for cases where there is a demonstrable hardship. 

Floodplain Exemptions

Building within the Dawson Creek floodplain poses inherent risks and  is regulated by the Zoning Bylaw. To build within this area a floodplain exemption must be granted by Council. 

Application for Encroachment

To apply for a site encroachment, click on the link above. For more information on Trespass/Encroachment Policy, click here.