Departments / Development & Regulatory Services /


The Engineering Department is responsible for long-term and short-term planning of the City’s utilities infrastructure. City utility infrastructure includes, but is not limited to roads, sidewalks, water distribution, sanitary sewer, storm drainage systems and street lighting.

What we do:

  • Manage the Capital Work Projects (Major Construction)
  • Generate and maintain mapping for internal and external customers
  • Maintain records and data of City infrastructure and utilities for all property’s connections
  • Provide engineering input on subdivisions, building and development permits
  • Review and approve private development proposals to ensure they are constructed in accordance with the City’s Subdivision & Development Servicing Bylaw

Useful Information

Frequently Asked Questions

I’m digging or excavating on my property, where are my utilities?

If you are doing any type of digging or excavation, you must do a BC One Call by calling 1-800-479-6886 or https://www.bc1c.ca/ and a DigShaw Call by calling 1-866-344-7429 or digshaw.ca. Calls should be made at least 3 days prior to beginning work. This notifies the City and other utility providers that may be in the area. We will send any relevant information we have regarding the City utilities in the area. If you would like physical locates, please specify that in the BC One Call or contact us.

See more information about Working Within the Vicinity of City Utilities.

I want to widen my driveway, what do I need to know?

  • Driveways can be a maximum of 9 meters (29.5 ft) or 45% of the frontage, whichever is less.
  • Each property may have one driveway per road frontage.
  • You will need a Curb Cut Permit if the curb is concrete. There is no fee for the permit, however, it has useful information regarding how to properly cut the curb for a driveway letdown to ensure it is done correctly and it can still function as intended.

I want to build a fence, what do I need to know?

Please see at the Fence Handout

Can the City locate my property pins?

We can give you a rough location from an air photo or by a legal plan from when the lot was initially subdivided, but it is recommended that you hire a registered British Columbia Land Surveyor (BCLS) to come to your property and find and re-establish your property corners. Our air photos can be up to 5 meters out of alignment.

How far is my property line from the edge of the road?

This is variable and there is no one answer. We recommend contacting the City and with the use of legal plans, record drawings, and air photos, we may be able to provide a rough dimension for you.

How do I report a pothole?

Please email Public Works at pothole@dawsoncreek.ca  to report a pothole. Please include the address if possible or a good description of the location. It is our goal to repair potholes within 24 hours. However, when the weather thaws and freezes sometimes a repair will need to be repeated. Please report again if you notice a repair that needs to be done again. 

How do I connect a building to City utilities (water and sewer)?

Please come in to City Hall to get a Service Connection Permit and talk with us about your project. The size or use of the building may determine what size or material the services need to be, or other requirements that must be met. The fee for the permit is $50.00.

I am repairing my water or sewer service lines, do I need a Service Connection Permit?

Service connection permits are not necessary for maintenance of water and sewer services on private property. If you suspect the issue to be within the City right of way, please contact the City’s Public Works Department. You may need a plumbing permit if you are working inside the building. Contact the Building Inspector at 250-784-3654.

What size culvert can I use on my driveway?

Due to City maintenance limitations and bylaw regulations, a culvert must have a minimum diameter of 400mm (16 inch) with a maximum length of  12 meters (40 ft).

I am a contractor doing work in the boulevard, what do I need to know?

You will need to complete and submit a Right of Way Disturbance Permit. Information that you will need to provide includes, but is not limited to, site factors, procedural factors, and a traffic plan. The following must also be submitted with the permit:

  • A current letter of account indicating that the Prime Contractor is in compliance with the applicable requirements of WorkSafe BC
  • A copy of the Prime Contractor’s insurance with the City as a Certificate Holder and with a liability of no less than $5 Million
  • A letter from the Prime Contractor outlining in detail the remediation efforts that will be made until the road can be repaired permanently
  • Written confirmation of the traffic control procedures that will be in place

Can I temporarily use water from a fire hydrant?

The City may approve fire hydrants to be used for some purposes such as construction on a temporary use basis. A Hydrant Use Permit must be obtained from City Hall and all applicable fees must be paid prior to the issuance of the permit. Water from a fire hydrant cannot be used for a potable water source. Water taken from a hydrant will be metered and billed for at the end of the permit term.

Do I need a Northern Health Waterworks permit?

A Waterworks Minor Construction Permit is needed when a service has a  diameter of ø ≥ 75 mm (3 in) or when a watermain is extended to serve less than 5 properties. Larger projects require a  Waterworks Construction Permit. Please see at the Northern Health Authority’s website for information regarding the permitting process.


Development Service Department – Engineering 

Have a Question?

Contact us

Note: This webpage is provided only as a guide for public use and convenience. Changes to the information outlined may be made where circumstances warrant. Please consult the City’s bylaws and other documents including theCommunity CharterLocal Government Act, and Land Title Act.